Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Race Today

One of the groups on Monday was thinking about how DuBois' ideas apply today. The injustices and the Veil are still affecting us today, but it is so complex. I think we mostly try to avoid talking about it. and now, in our election, we have a viable candidate who is African-American, and I have been worried about how old wounds would be opened. Too often in politics it becomes a big chessgame, and people are maneuvering and speaking to stay alive,but too often this means they can't deal with complex issues in complex ways.
I have never heard a more wonderful exposition of this that in Obama's speech. Please, please read it (or watch the YouTube recording). His final story hit me in the gut. I think it is in many ways the antidote to the John story, a speech that says there is common ground for us to stand on.

No comments: