Tuesday, March 18, 2008

apathy or frustration?

I remember learning about "learned helplessness" in a psychology class. After our talk on Monday, I wondered if that is part of what you were saying about why students are passive. Then I saw an article that talks about teacher and student perspectives on apathy.
I was especially struck by this comment:
Empathy for students
Submitted by Cathy McDonald (not verified) on March 13, 2008 - 13:12.

I am a high school English teacher who teaches many students who are struggling readers. I find myself complaining that they don't care. Just recently, I attended a technology conference where I sat in two sessions that lasted 6 hours each. By the end of the second day, my only thought was, "My brain hurts! This is too much at one time." If I felt that way at 50 with a Master's degree, how much more must these kids feel that. It is not apathy; it is total frustration and they are giving up. If we don't empathize and work to fight this problem, we will lose even more students. Fortunately, my school has engaged an awesome consultant to help us deal with this idea (UDL addresses it in assistive technology) through project based learning which makes what students do in class relevant to their lives.


We all get stuck sometimes in believing we can't do anything about "the system." I think that is what Dubois was talking about. But having jsut re-read "Of the Coming of John" I wonder if that makes it all sound too simple. DuBois does an amazing thing with his story: he shows all the tragedy and complexities.

No comments: