Friday, November 9, 2007

Marx and Property and UR

I got to hear President Ayres speak at a faculty meeting recently. I mentioned some facts and figures that I am only approximating here, but they capture the gist of his remarks. UR's tuition increase has not hurt numbers of applications. IN terms of economic deversity, a weird thing has happened. There are still wealthy folks who can pay the tuition. There are more folks from the lower economic strata who receive scholarships. UR is one of the only universities in the country with 100% Need Blind Admission and we give more more financial aid that almost any other institution. But Ayers remarked that we do seem to have a problem: we lack middle ground. Famililes that make, say 100-150 thousand a year can't afford the tuition but are not eligible for aid. He is working on that issue.
I think it is interesting how Marx would view this. For one, I think he would say "I told you so." This is the pattern that happens in the overall economy so that the middle class gets squeezed out, more people are forced down closer to poverty, but no more are added to the burgoise. Isn't this what he describes as the precursor to a class revolt? I know that at UR many of the tensions have been blamed on this economic divide.

No comments: