Sunday, January 20, 2008

fighting the quicksand...

Do you ever have those dreams where you are trying to run, but you can only go in slow motion? That is how I felt in class Friday! For some people, that kind of hands on set up time is crucial; for others, it is boring. My hope is that you will help each other whenever you can, and be patient--which you were, so thank you.

Have you tried setting up any other rss feeds in your Google Reader?

For the week coming up: make sure you have looked at the new pages on Blackboard about the digital storytelling project. On Wednesday, you will turn in a draft of your 500 word story so I can give you a little feedback.

Tomorrow we will dig in to Augustine's Confessions up through Book 8 (or as far as we can get--I know it is a lot.) I was rereading the part on the death of his friend and his experience of grief earlier today and found it even more poignant than I remembered.
I had spilt my soul upon the sand, in loving a mortal man as if he were never to die... (62)


For where was my heart to flee for refuge from my heart? Wither was I to fly from myself? To what place should I not follow myself? Yet leave my native place I did. For my eyes would look for him less where they had not been accustomed to see him


It doesn't get much sadder than that. Older Augustine, writing and looking back finds comfort in faith:
"Blessed is the man that loves Thee, O God, and his friend in Thee, and his enemy for Thee. For he alone loses no one that is dear to him, if all are dear in God, who is never lost (63)."

No comments: